Registration Clerk: Job Description
Position Title: Registration Clerk FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Department: Administration Reports to Nurse Manager
Date Effective: Immediately
Position Summary: Primarily responsible for effective customer service for all facilities, patients, vendors, insurance companies, referral sources, and co-workers by utilizing excellent, in-depth knowledge of company policies and procedures and insurance.
General Purpose: Customer relations; accurate posting of data entry and batch/cash drawer balancing; time management; efficient verification of insurance plans and effectively communicating to patients their financial responsibility.
Role Qualifications: Must partner with clinical and management teams to provide patients and their families with excellent service.
Essential Job Functions: Every effort has been made to make your job description as complete as possible. However, it in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you will be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or is a logical assignment to the position.
- • Stand up and greet, register, instruct and provide general assistance to patients while providing superior customer service and respect to patients and families.
- • Accurate data entry of demographic and financial information into the computer system.
- • Effectively verify and communicate to patients and their family insurance eligibility, filing, collections, and payment responsibilities.
- • Collections: Correctly collect co-pays, co-insurance, deductibles and set up payment plans.
- • Maintain and balance cash drawer precisely.
- • Answer phones, take messages, and return voicemails with a smile.
- • Medical Records: Following appropriate HIPAA guidelines provide medical records to primary care providers, insurance carriers, referred providers, and patients per patient request.
- • Assist in an emergency by performing CPR and provide documentation as needed.
- • Performs other related duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- • High School Diploma or equivalent
- • Basic typing and computer proficiency
- • 1 – 2 years of Customer Service experience
- • Detail oriented with exceptional interpersonal communication skills
- • Strong team player
- • Time management: the ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
- • Maintain current BLS certification
- • Commitment to company values
- • Ability to work independently and with the public in a high-pressure environment while maintaining excellent customer service.
- • Flexibility with schedule; including day, evening, and weekend hours as needed.
- • Basic math skills and accurately process money transactions
- • Experience with office equipment: multi-functional printer/copier/fax, multi-line phone system, calculator.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- • Customer service experience in the medical field.
- • Computer Skills: Experience with MS Office, EMR/EPM systems
- • Ability to troubleshoot equipment errors.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- • Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; walk; sit; stoop; reach; balance; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Employee must be able to perform CPR and maintain current BLS certification.
- • Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to some chemical hazards as described in materials safety data sheets and in accordance with OSHA standards. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
*All Registration Clerks are expected to adhere to all company policies. The job description may be changed at any time.