While is COVID-19 still a constant in the DFW area. We wanted to share some good handwashing techniques to help with the spread of this and other viruses going around. If your hands contain any apparent and visible dirt, grease, or another residue, soap and water are best. Here is the proper handwashing technique:
- Wash with warm or hot water
- Apply soap
- Rub hands together to lather
- Actually, scrub your hands, including the back of your hands, under fingernails, and especially in the crevices between fingers
- Rub hands together and scrub for at least 20 seconds. If you need a timer, sing the Happy Birthday song twice in your head and that is 20 seconds!
- Rinse hands under warm or hot running water
- Use a clean towel to dry hands. If not available, let your hands air dry.
Alcohol-based Hand Sanitizer
When water is not an option, alcohol-based hand sanitizers (containing at least 60 percent alcohol) are a good substitute.
- Generously place the product on both the front and back of your hands as well as your fingers and wait until your hands are dry.
- Please note that alcohol-based sanitizers do not eliminate all types of germs and they may not remove other chemicals like pesticides that might be on your hands.
- Also, because these products contain such a high alcohol concentration, do not use them around any open flames as they are highly flammable.
You should always wash your hands before and after treating a wound. Also, before and after helping someone who is sick. Be sure to wash your hands after blowing your nose, sneezing or coughing, and after touching any animals. You should absolutely wash your hands after a trip to the restroom.
Proper hand washing is the easiest form of protection against germs and viruses like measles. If you suspect that you or a family member may have the measles, contact Surepoint Family Medicine or Surepoint Emergency Center nearest you.
Surepoint Emergency Center is a modern emergency medical facility open 24/7/365. As an alternative to the traditional hospital ER experience, we offer convenience and minimal wait time, along with highly-trained emergency medical staff and state-of-the-art equipment.
Our top priority is bringing high-quality emergency care, quickly and easily to your family. We are committed to making patients feel better faster in a comforting and compassionate environment.
Fast convenient care in your neighborhood.