How to Survive the Holidays
Have you ever heard someone say, “It’s the holidays, I don’t have time to get sick.” Of course, you do not have time to get sick during the holidays. There’s too much fun to be had and too many things to do! So, it might seem that everyone around you is sick—at work, at the mall, at school. Injuries also happen during the holidays. Unfortunate slips, falls, burns, food poisonings – things that can ruin a happy occasion. How do survive the holidays?
Here are our top five ways:
- Wash your hands. First and foremost, and you’ve heard it many times before, wash your hands! You can’t be too careful. Wash them after using the restroom or being in public areas like subways, airports, and train stations. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water. Click here for instructions on proper handwashing. Hand sanitizer will do in a pinch if there’s no sink in sight.
- Get your flu shot. It’s important. This is the best way to stop the spread of the influenza virus this holiday season. It’s especially important if you are elderly or have a compromised immune system. You might also talk to your doctor or pharmacist about the flu shot.
- Practice safe food preparation. With the holiday season, you might get busy and skimp on safe food preparation. Take the proper precautions and spend the time you need. This could contaminate food and lead to food poisoning. This guide from osfhealthcare.org to avoid food poisoning.
- Avoid burns. When cooking this holiday, especially if you plan on frying a turkey, use extra precaution around hot oil and/or open flames. Each year, people are rushed to the ER with 2nd and 3rd-degree burns because of this. Always defrost your turkey first. If grilling, make sure you have adequate heat-safe gloves.
- Relax. Stress always increases during the holiday season. Over time, prolonged stress can greatly impact your immune system and you’ll be much more susceptible to illness.
Have a happy and healthy holiday!
Surepoint Emergency Center is a modern emergency medical facility open 24/7/365. As an alternative to the traditional hospital ER experience, we offer convenience and minimal wait time, along with highly-trained emergency medical staff and state-of-the-art equipment.
Our top priority is bringing high-quality emergency care, quickly and easily to your family. We are committed to making patients feel better faster in a comforting and compassionate environment.
Fast convenient care in your neighborhood.